Friday, March 23, 2012

Pouring the Foundation

Today I decided to take a drive past our new house on the way home and there was a lot of action.  Before I left for Hershey (on Tuesday) our new neighbors had their foundation poured and I knew ours would come any day soon.  To my shock, theirs is practically framed.  They have both stories built and you can actually see the stairs through the front door.  It's pretty cool... can't wait for ours to get to that stage.  As I was driving down our street there were tons of cement trucks buzzing in and out, so I was hoping they were pouring ours.  I didn't want to get too close because I didn't want the guys to yell at me.  From what I could tell in the pictures to the right... the big red cement trucks would dump cement in a truck that had that yellowish arm.  From the end of the arm, there was a tube that led down into our hole (basement) and was pouring cement. 
I assumed it was pouring a solid bottom base to our house. We returned later to find out that the big arm with the tube was filling specific trenches in the ground/hole/basement.  Our project manager mentioned something about putting a "footer" in, so maybe that is what this is.  It looks like it goes along the outline of our house.  Maybe they pour this as a solid base for all of the walls and framing to be built on, then they fill in the rest of the cement later.  I am totally guessing on this!  At least they are doing something, and it looks pretty cool from the different angles.  The top picture is taken from the front of the house, from the road.  The bottom picture is taken from the back right corner of the house.  Walking around the back of the hole, it doesn't look like we are going to have much of a yard.  It all depends on how much they backfill up aginst the foundation.  Even then, it will only be an extra two feet or so.  Oh well, I guess the kids will just have to play on the hillside!  Hopefully they'll keep working this weekend, and I'll have another update soon.

No comments: